Redekop raises concerns about future of former Gilmore Lodge site

The former Gilmore Lodge site will be hitting the open market following a decision made by regional councillors at a corporate services meeting on Wednesday to declare the land surplus.

But this step wasn’t taken without concerns from Mayor Wayne Redekop, who wants to make sure its next occupant has plans that are suitable for the site.

He called it a “fairly important location” and asked what type of vetting would take place to ensure its purchaser proposes something in line with the local government’s vision, and one that wouldn’t lead to an Ontario Land Tribunal hearing if the town turns down what is being planned.

Michelle Sergi, the Region’s deputy chief administrative officer, said the site has “limited zoning” applied to it and that the town will have control of what takes place at the former long-term care home, which closed late last year and was replaced with a new building on King Street.

The former Gilmore Lodge site will be hitting the open market. Credit: Kris Dubé | Fort Erie Radio

“There is a fair bit of discretion the town will have in terms of the vision for this property going forward,” Sergi told Redekop.

Redekop asked if a request for proposal process was ever considered, allowing the local government to weigh pros and cons of who applies to take over the site.

Sergi said this has been explored but due to the property’s “limited uses,” that option has been determined to be not viable, and that instead zoning authority and a final decision will be up to the town.

She said dialogue has been had with town staff on this matter, to which Redekop noted he was not part of that conversation.

But if the town has conflicting views with what a buyer proposes and a land tribunal process is a result, there could be a “whole pack of problems,” said Redekop, adding he will be taking this issue up with his municipal council in the near future.

St. Catharines Regional Councillor Brian Heit asked if the Town of Fort Erie would be given the opportunity to purchase the site, to which Sergi concurred it would.

Fort Erie Regional Councillor Tom Insinna asked if the town would be given a discount on the asking price, which has to be determined.

Sergi said the town would not be given any lenience in price.

The building opened in 1988 but reached the end of its life span in 2024.

The staff report on Wednesday’s corporate services agenda outlines a number of costs associated with the building since it closed, such as perimeter fencing and “decommissioning activities,” to the tune of more than $76,000.

Costs incurred for the first quarter of 2025 to maintain and secure the property, including utility costs, as it remains vacant, totaled $137,161, says the report.

Concept plans and background reports were undertaken with a cost of $189,000.

Total costs incurred related to the closure are $435,401, said the staff report.

Stay Informed

Events, offers, contests, and breaking news, all delivered straight to your inbox.