Council approves six units for Rebstock Road development

Despite ongoing concerns about drainage in the area, Fort Erie councillors approved a zoning bylaw amendment for a proposed residential build on Rebstock Road.

However, councillors drove a hard bargain, passing an amendment at the August 11 meeting that reduced the unit total to six. The developers had already knocked one unit off the proposal following earlier discussions surrounding an eight-unit build.

“I’m pleased to see we’re moving in the right direction with this in terms of the density and the number of units,” said Councillor Tom Lewis before putting forward the amendment to allow for six units instead of the seven that were proposed under the revised application.

Councillor Nick Dubanow opposed the amendment. He worried that an appeal by the developers would be an uphill battle for the town to defend.

“They already went down from eight to seven (units), I think that was compromise itself,” he said.

The property in question is known as 3957 Rebstock Road in Crystal Beach.

Concerns were raised at an earlier public meeting about potential drainage issues since there was a significant decline in elevation to the neighbours at the rear of the property, and usage of sump pumps or other mechanical methods to address drainage at the rear of the property was roundly rejected by councillors and staff alike.

The developers instead proposed running eavestroughs around the building and having that water discharged out towards the front of the building where it would be collected in catch basins.

“In terms of drainage I think we had found a solution, or the developer has proposed a solution I should say, that tries to take as much of the development-related drainage to the front,” said Jordan Frost, acting director of infrastructure services.

Stay Informed

Events, offers, contests, and breaking news, all delivered straight to your inbox.