Fort Erie Race Track sets date for 91st Prince of Wales Stakes
February 23, 2026 at 10:09 AM
The Fort Erie Race Track has announced that its marquee thoroughbred race, the 91st Prince of Wales Stakes, will return to the historic border oval on Labour Day.
The track made the announcement in a press release Monday morning.
The Prince of Wales Stakes, the second leg of the Canadian Triple Crown, pits Canada’s top Canadian-bred three-year-old horses against one another over a distance of 1 3/16 miles on Fort Erie’s signature dirt surface for a $400,000 purse, the largest offered in Canadian dirt racing.
General manager Drew Cady said the event, which will take place Monday, September 7, not only highlights elite competition but also aims to draw bigger crowds by placing the race on a long weekend.
“By moving the race back to a holiday long weekend, we expect this year’s Prince of Wales Stakes to be the biggest and best in several years,” Cady said in the release.

Last year’s 90th running was held on September 9 and drew a passionate audience to the track. In that edition, Runaway Again upset favourite Mansetti in a thrilling stretch duel to capture the trophy by a half-length.
The Prince of Wales Stakes first became part of the Canadian Triple Crown series in 1959 when the historic Fort Erie track assumed hosting duties, complementing the King’s Plate and the Breeders’ Stakes to define Canada’s classic three-race sweep.
Over the years, it has helped showcase future stars and thrilling moments in Canadian horse racing.
In addition to its headline event, race day traditionally features family-friendly festivities, food and hospitality, and competitive undercard stakes action.
Fans interested in attending or learning more about the 91st Prince of Wales Stakes and other events at the track can visit the Fort Erie Race Track website or follow the track on social media for updates as the season approaches.








Stay Informed