Fort Erie man charged after Friday armed robbery, Saturday stabbing

A Fort Erie man is facing multiple charges following an armed robbery at a convenience store on Bertie Street last week, according to a Niagara Regional Police Service news release.

Police said officers were called to the store near North Street around 7:40 p.m. on Friday, January 23, after a robbery took place involving what was described as a handgun.

According to police, the suspect approached the clerk, brandished the weapon and demanded money from the till. The clerk complied and the suspect fled with a quantity of cash in a black sedan, last seen travelling north on High Street.

Detectives with the 5 District Criminal Investigations Branch continued to investigate the incident and, on Thursday, had grounds to lay charges against a 27-year-old Fort Erie resident.

Police said the man has been charged with robbery using a firearm, disguise with intent and possession of an imitation weapon. He remains in custody and is scheduled to appear in court Tuesday, February 3, at the Robert S.K. Welch Courthouse in St. Catharines.

The same individual was arrested and charged with multiple criminal offences Saturday, January 24, following a stabbing incident on George Road, which left one woman with life-threatening injuries. He had a bail hearing scheduled for Sunday, January 25.

It is unknown to Fort Erie Radio if the suspect remained in custody following his Sunday bail hearing.

Stay Informed

Events, offers, contests, and breaking news, all delivered straight to your inbox.