Three migrants apprehended after illegal entry via railway bridge

Three foreign nationals were intercepted by police earlier this month after attempting to cross illegally into Canada via the International Railway Bridge, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said in a news release.

The incident occurred on April 13, when the individuals were seen crossing the bridge and entering a vehicle waiting in Fort Erie. According to the RCMP, one person was apprehended immediately, while a second fled on foot and was later located and arrested.

A third individual managed to enter the waiting vehicle, which then fled the scene. During the escape, the driver allegedly endangered several members of the RCMP Niagara-on-the-Lake Border Integrity Unit who were responding at the time.

The RCMP said the third migrant and the driver both turned themselves in to police on April 23.

Credit: Adam Moss | Flickr

The migrant, identified as a Cuban national, was processed at the Peace Bridge port of entry by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). Following an assessment, he was deemed inadmissible to Canada and returned to the United States.

The driver of the vehicle, who is also the wife of the migrant, was arrested.

She is facing multiple charges, including dangerous operation of a conveyance, as well as conspiracy and failure to report. She was held for a bail hearing in St. Catharines.

The Border Integrity Unit, which maintains a 24/7 presence at the railway bridge, has made several recent arrests of individuals attempting to enter Canada.

According to the RCMP, all individuals apprehended were assessed by the CBSA and found inadmissible under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, resulting in their return to the United States.

Stay Informed

Events, offers, contests, and breaking news, all delivered straight to your inbox.