Prince of Wales Stakes marks 90 years at Fort Erie Race Track
March 11, 2025 at 1:32 PM
The Prince of Wales Stakes, one of Canada’s premier horse races, will celebrate its 90th running on September 9 at Fort Erie Race Track.
The historic race, which serves as the second jewel of the Canadian Triple Crown, will see top three-year-old thoroughbreds compete over 1 3/16 miles for a $400,000 purse.
The Prince of Wales Stakes bridges the gap between the King’s Plate, set for August 16 at Woodbine Racetrack, and the Breeders’ Stakes, which concludes the Triple Crown series.
The event is expected to draw horse racing fans from across the country to the picturesque Fort Erie track, which has been a cornerstone of Canadian racing since 1897.
“We are thrilled to celebrate the 90th Prince of Wales Stakes, a testament to Fort Erie’s rich racing heritage and our commitment to delivering world-class thoroughbred competition,” said Drew Cady in a news release, the track’s general manager.
“Following last year’s incredible race and strong wagering numbers, we’re eager to build on that momentum and welcome fans to experience this historic occasion,” he added.

Last year’s race saw an 11-horse field generate more than $700,000 in wagering, contributing to a total handle of $3.03 million for the full race card, the second-largest since the Fort Erie Live Racing Consortium took over operations in 2010.
The race day program will also feature the $100,000 Ontario Sire Heritage Series races, the Rondeau Bay Stakes and the Lake Erie Stakes, as well as Fort Erie’s Molson Cup and Le Cinquième Essai Cup, says the release.
Admission and parking will remain free this year.
The draw for the 90th Prince of Wales Stakes is scheduled for September 4, at noon, providing an early look at the field of contenders.
Fort Erie Race Track’s 128th season begins on May 27 with live racing on Mondays and Tuesdays leading up to the marquee event.








Stay Informed