Council grants multi-year extensions to two Fort Erie developments
April 19, 2026 at 4:05 AM
Despite the typical push to get developments built in a timely fashion, councillors nonetheless agreed to extend the deadline for two different proposals at the April 13 meeting.
However, in the spirit of timely construction, they approved an amendment that shortened by a few months the extension of the approval for a 36-unit townhouse build on Walden Boulevard. Mayor Wayne Redekop’s amendment provided an extension of the approval to December 12, 2027, instead of the staff proposed March 12, 2028.
“This draft approval actually expired December 12,” he said. “I’m agreeable to extending it two years to December 12, 2027, and in view of the fact that apparently the developer is well on his way to getting these things done, I shouldn’t think that should be a hardship.”
A second extension was granted for a plan to build 22 single detached homes in the Crescent Park Estates subdivision on Shayne Avenue. Its extension is for three years, going until April 24, 2029.
In both instances, a slowing housing market was cited as one of the reasons extensions were needed. Additionally, there are conditions that have yet to be cleared on both plans, which led staff to recommend approving the extensions.
Proponents of the Shayne Avenue development also cited high construction costs and financing as constraints that led them to request the extension.
For the Walden Avenue build, staff previously granted two temporary extensions of three months each. This led Redekop to question why council hadn’t been told of the extensions.
“I’d like to make sure we are aware of these temporary extensions by staff. I understand why they’re done, I just think we should be made aware of that,” he said.
Director of Planning and Development Services Anamika Dilwaria told Redekop and council that staff would make a note to let councillors and the mayor know when they’ve granted such extensions.








Stay Informed