Abandoned boat removed from Crescent Beach by Coast Guard
September 18, 2024 at 5:17 AM
A recreational boat has been removed from the Lake Erie shorelines for a second time.
Last Thursday, the Canadian Coast Guard was at Crescent Beach to remove a vessel that had been sitting abandoned since a little past mid-August.

It was reported to be aground on August 18, said coast guard spokesperson Forrester Dunbrook in a series of answers sent to Fort Erie Radio late Tuesday afternoon after questions were sent to the coast guard last Thursday.
Earlier this summer, a vessel was removed from Bay Beach, and coincidentally is the same boat that ended up several kilometres east of that location along the Lake Erie shoreline last month.
“In that case, the owner was able to engage a contractor to remove the vessel from the beach,” said Dunbrook about its first removal.
Last week, at the small municipal beach, two people from the coast guard were standing on the shore watching as another vessel brought in by a hired contractor attempted to free the pleasure craft out of its resting place in the shallow water.
The cause of the grounding is not part of the coast guard’s investigation, said Dunbrook, adding their “primary interest is the prevention and removal of threats of pollution and hazards from the environment.”
The vessel was removed as it was determined to be a hazard under the Wrecked, Abandoned and Hazardous Vessel Act.
Last week’s removal took approximately six hours, which included two hours to refloat and free the vessel and four hours to tow it to the nearest ramp for removal.
The boat was taken to a holding facility for further assessment, said Dunbrook.
The owner has been contacted, he said.








Stay Informed