Durez disputes 400-litre spill caused Fort Erie odour complaints
April 24, 2026 at 9:56 PM
Durez Canada says it has removed leaked material from its containment area in Fort Erie but disputes claims that a 400-litre chemical leak caused odour complaints that spread across Fort Erie and Buffalo this week.
Ontario Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks district supervisor Taylor Buck said on Thursday that the reported chemical smell had been traced to a phenol water-based solution that leaked from a tank into secondary containment dike at the Durez plant on Dunlop Road.
On Friday, plant manager Mandy Wychreschuk released a statement saying the company was “not aware of any evidence” showing the chemical leak triggered the odour complaints.
Wychreschuk said company personnel identified the leak Monday morning and reported it immediately to the Ontario ministry’s Spills Action Centre.
The on-site dike already held rainwater, which reduced the concentration to “less than one per cent,” and cleanup of the dike contents was completed Friday, according to the statement.

CBC News reported Friday that some residents said the odour burned their eyes and throats.
Fort Erie Fire Chief Mark Schmitt said earlier this week crews responded to multiple odour complaints and found no health risk to the community.
Buck, with the Ontairo ministry, also told Fort Erie Radio on Thursday that it did not expect health impacts and that a specialized contractor hired by Durez Canada would complete remediation.
The ministry will continue oversight of the response and require a plan to prevent another incident.








Stay Informed