Trial begins in Fort Erie double murder of two young women

Jurors heard Tuesday that a Toronto man shot and killed two young women at a short-term rental home on Niagara Parkway in 2021.

The trial of Christopher “El Plaga” Lucas, 27, began this week at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in Welland, where he pleaded not guilty to two counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of 18-year-old Christine Crooks of Toronto and 20-year-old Juliana Pannunzio of Windsor.

Juliana Pannunzio, 20, was murdered at a short-term rental home on Niagara Parkway in 2021. Credit: Shellie Pannunzio | CTV News Windsor

The case, which has drawn national attention, is expected to run nine weeks and involve 35 witnesses.

Assistant Crown attorney Jody Ostapiw told jurors that evidence will show Lucas shot both women during a birthday party at the rented waterfront property on January 19, 2021.

She cautioned the jury against bias, saying, “It is important that you do not rely on any stereotypes or impressions you may have about a Black rapper from the Greater Toronto Area in deciding this case,” according to reporting by the Niagara Falls Review.

Crooks and Pannunzio were found dead inside the Niagara Parkway home after Niagara Regional Police responded to a 911 call about gunfire. Pannunzio’s body was discovered in the living room and Crooks in a bedroom.

The woman who rented the home, 33-year-old Scarborough resident Heidi Bahler, called 911 about 80 minutes after the shootings. The Crown said her call and later statements to police were “riddled with lies and omissions.”

An audio recording played in court captured Bahler telling an operator, “I had an Airbnb and it got kind of out of hand. Shots were fired and I left.”

Court heard that the party was organized to celebrate the 29th birthday of Trevor Barnett of Scarborough. Crooks had been invited by Lucas, then 22, and Pannunzio’s only connection to the gathering was through her friend.

“It was the result of sheer bad luck that she happened to tag along with Christine to this party,” Ostapiw said.

Prosecutors said no partygoers have identified the shooter despite extensive investigation.

“I do not expect that a single one of them will tell you who shot Juliana and Christine,” Ostapiw told jurors, noting that witnesses have remained silent in the four years since the killings.

The Crown’s case alleges Lucas’s behaviour after the shootings was consistent with guilt. His DNA was reportedly found on two marijuana cigarettes near each body. Lucas was on probation and out on bail for unrelated charges at the time and stopped reporting to his probation officer after the incident. Two warrants were later issued for his arrest.

In October 2024, Bahler pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice for misleading investigators. Barnett, whose shoelaces were found to have one of the victim’s blood on them, also pleaded guilty to obstruction last year after murder charges against him were withdrawn at a preliminary hearing.

Lucas was arrested in Toronto in July 2021 after police issued a Canada-wide warrant and increased a public reward for information to $100,000.

The trial continues this week in Welland with witness testimony expected from several party attendees and investigators.

Stay Informed

Events, offers, contests, and breaking news, all delivered straight to your inbox.