Ridgeway daycare recovers after 15-day gastroenteritis outbreak

Things are back to normal for a local daycare that recently endured a 15-day gastroenteritis outbreak.

Top of the Ridge Daycare, a not-for-profit facility on Prospect Point Road, did not have to close throughout the outbreak, said supervisor Brittany Meloche.

Fort Erie Radio obtained emails sent to parents during the outbreak, which was declared January 29 and was determined to be over on February 12, which included regular updates on the situation and how it was being handled.

Meloche said it was “extremely important” to provide accurate and up-to-date information to families.

“Building, strengthening and maintaining consistent open communication” is the standard at Top of the Ridge, she said in a statement.

Credit: Top of the Ridge Daycare

“We sincerely appreciate the families’ support, understanding and co-operation of communicating any and all symptoms of their children’s ill-health, and keeping us updated on a daily basis for attendances,” Meloche said, noting this comes in the form of parents keeping kids home and communicating symptoms back to daycare staff.

“Our staff have also done an immense amount of hard work keeping up with the increased cleaning and disinfecting, while continuing to provide high-quality programming for all the children on a daily basis,” she added.

This comes during what a joint news release between Niagara Health and Niagara Region Public Health said is a surge in flu cases across the region.

Niagara Health hospitals are seeing an alarming spike in flu cases, with a growing number of patients requiring hospitalization, including several in intensive care, the release issued earlier this week reads.

“I want to urge people to take flu season seriously and get vaccinated, as this year’s flu shot appears to be highly effective in preventing severe illness,” says Dr. Karim Ali, Medical Director, Infection, Prevention and Control and Head of Service for Infectious Diseases at Niagara Health.

Ali said this is the “worst flu season the region has seen since before the COVID-19 pandemic.”

While public attention in recent years has been focused on COVID, he warned that influenza remains a significant threat.

“We are seeing high numbers of flu cases in our hospitals, and people are getting very sick,” Ali said. “Flu is not just a seasonal nuisance. It can lead to serious complications, and this year is proving that.”

Several patients are currently being treated in intensive care, with more admitted to hospital for flu-related complications. Ali said this should serve as a reminder that influenza is not just a bad cold. It can be life-threatening, especially for seniors, young children and those with underlying health conditions.

“With flu season in full swing, it’s important to remember that the flu vaccine is an effective tool in protecting yourself and others against the current strain,” says Dr. Azim Kasmani, Niagara Region’s Medical Officer of Health.

Kasmani added that by layering protection through vaccination, hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette, and staying home when sick, we not only protect ourselves but also those at higher risk of severe outcomes, such as hospitalization or even death, from getting infected.

Ali said hospitals are bracing for more cases in the weeks ahead, and he hopes people take the necessary steps to stay healthy.

Stay Informed

Events, offers, contests, and breaking news, all delivered straight to your inbox.