UPDATE | Police investigate threats after lockdowns at Fort Erie schools
March 5, 2026 at 10:02 AM
UPDATE | March 5, 2026 @ 11:24 a.m.: Kelly Pisek, director of education at the District School Board of Niagara, confirmed by email that lockdowns were triggered earlier this morning following an emailed bomb threat sent to eight schools across Niagara.
“Staff will continue to monitor and support students throughout the day,” she said in a statement emailed to parents. “Please be assured that our schools and board take all threats seriously.”
ORIGINAL STORY | March 5, 2026 @ 10:02 a.m.: Police officers attended multiple Greater Fort Erie schools Thursday morning after threats sent by email prompted lockdowns.
Niagara Regional Police officers determined the threats were not credible and began lifting lockdown protocols after 9 a.m., including at John Brant Public School and Peace Bridge Public School.
Students who arrived at school prior to the lockdown remained inside classrooms under staff supervision while police assessed the situation, according to a message sent to families by the District School Board of Niagara at 8:46 a.m.
Parents were instructed not to come to the schools during the police response.
Constable Jessica Martin of the Niagara Regional Police Service told Fort Erie Radio officers responded after threats were made against several schools.
“Out of an abundance of caution, we are working with school boards to ensure safety. There are no injuries, and the threats do not appear to be credible. We are currently on scene at multiple schools and investigating the incidents,” she said.
Investigators received information that threats were made at numerous schools throughout the region and form part of what police describe as a swatting incident.
“Our officers will be attending all of the involved schools and investigating individually. At this time, we are not releasing the nature of the threats, as this appears to be a swatting incident via email.”
Swatting refers to false reports intended to provoke a large emergency response, often by police, based on fabricated claims of serious violence.
At 9:16 a.m., John Brant Public School principal Steve Webb notified families that police had lifted the lockdown.
“John Brant is safe. Any students that did not come to school this morning are welcome to return to school,” he wrote.
Niagara Regional Police maintained officers at several schools during the investigation.
Fort Erie has experienced similar disruptions in the past.
In January 2023, John Brant Public School received a bomb threat by telephone that prompted police to block off the surrounding area for more than an hour before determining there was no risk.
During that same week, safety procedures were also implemented at Garrison Road Public School, Stevensville Public School and Peace Bridge Public School following separate threats.
Police have not reported injuries in Thursday’s incident and have not released information about suspects or the origin of the emails.
Investigators continue to examine the threats while coordinating with schools across the region.








Police were at Mather arch ares today too…told my mom she couldn’t walk our dog and had to leave. Peace bridge traffic was still crossing.
Thanks for the tip. We’re already aware and looking into this story.
Here is the full story: Police say Tuesday weapons threat near Peace Bridge ‘unfounded’