Niagara Transit says Fort Erie service gaps addressed in master plan

UPDATE | JUNE 19, 2025 @ 10:21 A.M.: In a news release, Niagara Transit confirmed its master plan was approved by its board.

ORIGINAL STORY | JUNE 18, 2025 @ 9:17 P.M.: Concerns raised by local politicians and other community representatives about transit service delivery are addressed in Niagara Transit’s 10-year master plan.

That’s according to general manager Carla Stout, who gave a virtual presentation and fielded questions on Tuesday morning, shortly before the plan was set to be considered by the transit board later that day.

In late January, an open house was held at town hall that was attended by local residents, councillors, the town’s accessibility advisory committee, and members of various community organizations. At that event, criticism was heard about delays and missed pickups going back to last year.

Niagara Transit staff Wendy Middleton and Leah Tracey talk to residents at town hall late in January. Credit: Kris Dubé | Fort Erie Radio

Niagara Transit’s contract with provider Voyago took effect in July 2024 to handle specialized and microtransit services.

At a council meeting in May, Mayor Wayne Redekop and councillors shared concerns similar to those raised at the public input session in January.

Fort Erie Radio, the lone media outlet to participate in Tuesday’s virtual presentation, asked transit staff what the plan is to address the criticisms about delays and rides not showing up.

Stout, who was the transit manager in Fort Erie for several years up until 2018, said Niagara Transit recently met with Redekop and town staff.

“We were very happy to let them know we have not had a missed pickup since the beginning of this year,” Stout said in response to questions from Fort Erie Radio, noting that demand is increasing in Fort Erie, and that it’s anticipated there will be 100,000 recorded trips this year.

At the May council meeting, Redekop spoke to a need for fixed routes in town.

Stout said this is included in the plan that will be pitched to the board, and eventually regional council for budget approval.

This is “based on ridership,” she said, adding that a request for Fort Erie to see the return of a fixed-route system and a new bus was included in last year’s budget request, but was not approved.

These will be in the next budget request for 2026, she said.

Across the region, fixed route hours are planned to increase from 450,000 to 480,000, and specialty transit hours of operation are pitched to go up to 195,000 hours from 155,000, which Stout said would have a positive impact on Fort Erie starting next year.

“That is exactly to deal with the demand,” she said.

Stout also said Niagara Transit will revisit town council next week to discuss issues related to service delivery.

Stay Informed

Events, offers, contests, and breaking news, all delivered straight to your inbox.