Next phase of breakwall restoration begins Friday

The next phase of a major overhaul of the breakwall in Fort Erie will begin this week, causing a temporary closure of a section of the nearby Niagara River Recreation Trail.

The work, beginning July 4, will focus on a portion of the breakwall behind Mather Arch Park, just south of the Peace Bridge. It’s expected to be completed by late October 2025, says a public notice from the parks commission.

Over the past several months, Niagara Parks has engaged a coastal engineering team to develop a pilot program aimed at strengthening breakwall and shoreline protection.

A section of the trail near the breakwall in Fort Erie will be closed temporarily starting Friday. Credit: Kris Dubé | Fort Erie Radio

“The goal is to ensure the long-term sustainability of the shoreline, parkland and adjacent trails in the face of increasingly severe weather events, which have caused significant damage in recent years,” says Niagara Parks.

Work started in 2020 to replace areas of the breakwall that had been affected by severe weather.

Rankin Construction has been awarded the contract to continue carrying out the project.

“During construction, residents and visitors may experience dust, loud noise and temporary traffic disruptions,” added Niagara Parks.

Construction fencing will be installed around the work site, and for public safety, the section of the trail within the construction zone will be closed.

No pedestrian detour will be available, said Niagara Parks.

Late last year, Ron Carpenter, director of capital works and engineering for Niagara Parks, told Fort Erie Radio that 900 metres of breakwall had been replaced since work started.

Stay Informed

Events, offers, contests, and breaking news, all delivered straight to your inbox.