Murder suspect arrested after being turned back at Peace Bridge

A man wanted for murder in India was arrested at the Peace Bridge this week after being refused entry into Canada at Fort Erie, according to a Wednesday news release from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

CBP says the 22-year-old Indian citizen attempted to enter Fort Erie on Sunday but was turned back at the border by Canada Border Services agents. Upon his return to the U.S. inspection booths in Buffalo, officers determined he had been using a false name and date of birth.

According to CBP, biometric checks confirmed his real identity and revealed an active Interpol Red Notice issued by Indian authorities for a murder charge. The man had also allegedly entered the United States illegally in 2024 and failed to attend a required asylum interview.

“The apprehension of this individual demonstrates the critical role our officers play in safeguarding our nation and working collaboratively with international partners to uphold justice,” Acting Area Port Director Sharon Swiatek said in the release.

CBP reported that the man was taken into custody, processed, and transferred to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. He is currently being held at the federal detention centre in Batavia, N.Y., pending removal proceedings.

The Peace Bridge, which connects Fort Erie to Buffalo, sees more than four million travellers each year and is one of the busiest crossings along the Canada-U.S. border.

Stay Informed

Events, offers, contests, and breaking news, all delivered straight to your inbox.