Fort Erie man pleads guilty to smuggling meth, fentanyl
May 27, 2026 at 8:58 PM
A 57-year-old Fort Erie man has pleaded guilty in U.S. federal court to importing controlled substances after drugs were found during an inspection at the Peace Bridge.
According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of New York, the man pleaded guilty Wednesday before U.S. District Judge Richard J. Arcara to importation of controlled substances.
The charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a fine of US$1 million.
According to prosecutors, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers encountered the man at the Peace Bridge port of entry on the morning of August 1, 2025, and referred him for a secondary inspection.
During the inspection, officers found multiple cellphones, hard drives, a laptop and a baby monitor, along with two plastic containers containing methamphetamine and fentanyl, prosecutors said.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office also said the man had been convicted in June 2024 of possessing child pornography in St. Catharines.
The case was investigated by U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Homeland Security Investigations.
Assistant U.S. attorneys Michael J. Adler and Sasha Mascarenhas are prosecuting the case.
Sentencing is scheduled for September 22 at 12:30 p.m. before Judge Arcara.








Stay Informed