Fort Erie councillor refutes Niagara Health’s ‘bullying’ allegations
October 10, 2024 at 8:30 PM
Fort Erie council’s representative on the municipality’s community health care services committee says recent allegations made by Niagara Health in the media are not true.
Earlier this week, Niagara Health told the St. Catharines Standard that the reason volunteers from the health system recently resigned from the committee are that they were being “belittled,” “bullied,” and “humiliated.”
In a letter on September 12, the health system also cited a lack of progress with the committee, another reason they would no longer be participating in its work.
On Wednesday, Ward 1 Councillor George McDermott, while a guest on ‘The James Culic Show’ on Fort Erie Radio, said the claims made by Niagara Health are “totally wrong,” and that he has not witnessed anything inappropriate.

“I’ve not done any of that, I’ve not known anyone who sits around that table to have done that,” said McDermott, council’s representative on the committee.
He admits there are “some disagreements” but said there is a difference between bullying and criticism.
There is “outrage” in the community because its “healthcare is being taken away,” said McDermott.
When the new South Niagara hospital opens in 2028, Fort Erie’s urgent care centre is planned to close.
The new hospital will have 469 beds, adding 156 new beds to the hospital system, Niagara Health told Fort Erie Radio earlier this year.
Niagara Health said it appreciates people’s concerns about maintaining healthcare services in their communities.
“Niagara Health, a hospital, must evolve to overcome the challenges of today’s healthcare system, including competing for doctors, nurses and other health professionals, and keeping up with advances in technology and how healthcare is delivered,” said Niagara Health’s statement.








Stay Informed