Lewis to call for resignation of Niagara Health president, board of directors
June 10, 2025 at 4:50 AM
Fort Erie councillors will later this month consider requesting the resignation of Lynn Guerriero and withholding the $3 million the municipality had previously committed for the new South Niagara Hospital.
Towards the end of the June 9 council-in-committee meeting, Councillor Tom Lewis made his colleagues aware of his intent to bring forward two notices of motion at the June 23 meeting and request the waiving of procedural bylaw to allow them to make a decision that night.
His motions will seek to have town council formally request the resignation of Guerriero, the president and CEO of Niagara Health, as well as the board of directors. His second motion will call for the town to immediately withhold the previously committed funding for the South Niagara Hospital build.
“I would like to stress that I take no joy in moving forward with this,” Lewis said, adding Monday was a bad day for health care, and a bad day for Fort Erie.
Earlier that day, the town learned that Niagara Health is planning to close the urgent care centre in Fort Erie on Fridays throughout the summer, beginning July 1.
The organization blamed physician shortages for the decision.
“This is a health care emergency and a threat to our health care,” Lewis said.
Lewis and other councillors on Monday suggested it was time for Fort Erie to begin dealing with the province directly.
“I am reiterating my personal opinion, I think we need to kick Niagara Health to the curb,” said Nick Dubanow, who like others, was furious to not receive the news ahead of time. He learned about it on social media.
“This news came prior to any meeting or discussion with the municipality and once again Fort Erie was left in the dark,” said Lewis.
Lewis’ motion regarding the resignation of the Niagara Health leadership will also request, in that scenario, that the province appoint a supervisor to oversee Niagara Health operations. The motion regarding the funding commitment will also call for that money to be reallocated “toward broader healthcare initiatives not administered by Niagara Health.”
The councillor said when Fort Erie made the commitment, it was with the understanding urgent care centres would remain open in Fort Erie and Port Colborne.
“We bought a horse and what they’re showing us today, we’re looking at a donkey,” he said.
Councillor Ann-Marie Noyes suggested the municipality review any potential legal ramifications around withholding that financial commitment.
Mayor Wayne Redekop repeated to councillors the message he had for two Niagara Health staff members following the Monday meeting when he and Councillor Joan Christensen learned of the impending service reduction.
“At the end of the meeting, I did tell the two representatives from Niagara Health that it’s not over,” he said. “It’s hard to negotiate with somebody who doesn’t want to listen.”Â
“We’ve got our work cut out for us,” the mayor added, “but we’ll deal with it.”








Stay Informed