‘Lots of issues’ to be addressed in Fort Erie, says Gates
March 6, 2025 at 3:26 AM
An effort to save the Douglas Memorial urgent care centre “was an issue everybody could rally behind” when Fort Erie residents went to the polls in last week’s provincial election, says Wayne Gates, who was re-elected back to Queen’s Park in the contest.
This has been an ongoing fight in Fort Erie, one of three municipalities in the Niagara Falls riding, and the local government has been urging the provincial government to continue funding Niagara Health to keep the site open, rather than closing it when the new South Niagara Hospital in Niagara Falls begins taking patients in 2028.
In an interview with Fort Erie Radio, Gates said he has spoken directly to Premier Doug Ford about Fort Erie’s need to keep its urgent care centre, which was downgraded from a full-service hospital in 2008.
“He’s fully aware of Fort Erie and I’m going to continue to pressure him,” said Gates, adding it’s up to the province to step up and grant the town’s request to keep the urgent care centre open.
“This could be fixed tomorrow, either by the premier or the minister of health,” he said.
Gates won the election with 55 per cent of the vote, a record in the history of the riding, which covers Fort Erie, Niagara Falls, and Niagara-on-the-Lake.

“All I heard (before the election) was how close it was going to be,” he quipped.
In second place was Ontario PC candidate Ruth-Ann Nieuwesteeg.
On top of the urgent care centre, Fort Erie has other health care needs, such as a shortage of physicians.
With a growing population that is nearing 37,000, there are close to 8,000 people without a family doctor.
“We need to get more doctors into Fort Erie, particularly in primary care,” he said.
He also said another issue he will continue to fight for is eliminating paid parking at hospital sites, which is “nothing more than another tax.”
Gates was first elected in a 2014 byelection and again that same year. Last week he was re-elected for a fourth time since winning the byelection, which was brought on by the resignation of Liberal MPP Kim Craitor.
There are “lots of issues” in Fort Erie, Gates said, such as addressing affordable housing needs.
Renewing an agreement with the province to keep the Fort Erie Race Track is another priority this year, he told Fort Erie Radio.
He also said bringing back “some form of the slots” is something that could be explored.
“We’re going to do everything we can to keep it open,” he said.
As tariffs being imposed by the U.S. government continue to be an evolving issue, Gates said Premier Ford needs to call the legislature back to session as soon as possible.
Fighting these taxes should have a “Team Ontario approach,” with politicians from all levels and various stripes working collaboratively, he said.








Stay Informed