Tender awarded for Prospect Point Road North project
September 26, 2024 at 4:02 AM
The lowest bidder for a Prospect Point Road North reconstruction project still came in nearly $900,000 over what had previously been budgeted.
Councillors approved a report without discussion that recommended accepting the bid from Nexterra Substructures Inc. for the project. The company’s bid was for just over $2 million, while council originally approved a roughly $1.3 million budget for the project.
The extra costs will come out of various reserve funds.
The project includes several aspects:
- replacing and improving the existing storm sewer system,
- lowering the existing watermain at Hibbard Street,
- full road reconstruction and upgrade of Prospect Point Road North from Cutler Street to Highland Drive to urban standard with curbs and sidewalks,
- renewing the existing lighting along the same stretch,
- and finalizing the completion of Prospect Point Road North from Cutler Street to Dominion Road.
According to the report, the original scope of the work was expanded during the design phase to address conflicts with the proposed storm sewer alignment. Added money was needed to pay for other investigations, including a stage 2 archaeological investigation.
Increased scope was one of the reasons for the tenders coming in high, the report said. A second issue was something most people are all too familiar with these days.
“Over the past three years there has been a significant increase to material and construction costs due to inflation,” the report said. “Staff anticipate this instability will continue through 2024 and possibly further.”








Stay Informed