Ford marks hospital milestone, Jones offers no guarantees for Fort Erie
February 26, 2026 at 4:30 AM
Premier Doug Ford joined several Niagara politicians on Wednesday to sign the final structural steel beam installed in the new South Niagara Hospital in Niagara Falls.
During the following press conference, Ontario Minister of Health Sylvia Jones declined to guarantee whether the province would support the continued operation of Fort Erie’s Douglas Memorial urgent care centre.
The exchange comes as Niagara Health plans major service changes tied to the new regional hospital, including the expected closure of urgent care centres in Fort Erie and Port Colborne.
Fort Erie council voted in June 2025 to temporarily withhold a previously pledged $3 million toward the project while it seeks assurances on maintaining urgent care services locally.

The beam signing marked a construction milestone for the 12-storey South Niagara Hospital, which will cost $3.6 billion and include 469 beds and is expected to open in summer 2028.
Jones described the project as a replacement for older Niagara Health sites and a consolidation of services. She repeatedly pointed to a net gain of 156 beds across Niagara, once the new hospital opens and other facilities close.
When asked, Jones told Fort Erie Radio the province plans hospital services across Niagara as one package. She did not make a specific promise about the Douglas Memorial site in Fort Erie.

“We are ensuring that as we build out our system, we have an entire Niagara Region, that is better served by the hospitals that will continue to remain open,” said Jones.
Lynn Guerriero, president and CEO of Niagara Health, said the South Niagara Hospital will support Niagara Health’s shift to a three-site system based in Niagara Falls, St. Catharines and Welland.
No mention was made of what role, if any, smaller urgent care sites in Fort Erie and Port Colborne would have in that plan.
“The South Niagara Hospital is central to our transition to a three-site system, and we are focused on ensuring it opens ready to deliver safe, modern and connected care for our community,” said Guerriero.
Town officials met with Jones in August at last month’s Rural Ontario Municipal Association conference in Ottawa to press Fort Erie’s case for keeping urgent care at Douglas Memorial. At Wednesday’s press conference, Jones said she would not commit to direct negotiation with Fort Erie.

“This cannot be done at a municipal table. It cannot be done only with Niagara Health. It’s going to have to have an entire community engagement investment,” said Jones.
Mayor Wayne Redekop has previously described the closure of Douglas Memorial as a “crisis situation” after Niagara Health reduced urgent care hours and set the centre to close in 2028 when services are expected to move to the new hospital.
The province will still require a 10 per cent local share for the South Niagara Hospital, Jones said, which is the same rule applied to hospital capital projects across Ontario.

Jones thanked Niagara municipalities that have already committed toward the South Niagara Hospital’s local share.
She did not say Queen’s Park would replace Fort Erie’s withheld $3 million to complete the hospital; instead, she said it would be treated as part of the share obligation that must be met locally.
“To your credit, we’ve heard some of those very impressive numbers already, and that commitment of a 10 per cent local share will continue to be held here in South Niagara, as it is in every hospital build.”
Further planning discussions will continue with Niagara Health, municipalities and health system partners as construction proceeds toward the projected 2028 opening date.








Stay Informed