Future of Douglas Memorial remains ‘No. 1 issue’: Redekop
February 11, 2026 at 4:30 AM
Fort Erie is keeping the full court press on its provincial and federal counterparts to convince them there’s a future for the Douglas Memorial site in Niagara’s overall healthcare plan.
Calling it an “existential issue,” Mayor Wayne Redekop said they will continue work to present their Reimagining Douglas Memorial proposal as a viable option.
The comments came at the Monday council-in-committee meeting where CAO Chris McQueen gave an update on work within the town’s health care profile, and a representative from the Fort Erie Healthcare SOS community group discussed their vision.
“We understand this is the number one issue for the town of Fort Erie and we’re not going to give up on it,” Redekop said, adding the community’s support is vital to those efforts. “The support of this community is fundamentally important.”
Despite ongoing efforts to get a commitment for the Douglas Memorial site to remain open after a new South Niagara hospital is open, the building remains slated for closure.
Town officials have been unsuccessful, so far, in convincing officials at Queen’s Park of the viability of their plan, which includes continuing urgent care centre operations, new and upgraded diagnostic imagining services, non-acute level of care beds, community health care services and clinics, and post-secondary health care such as diagnostic imaging, nursing, medical technology and physician training.
“How do we get to the provincial government decision makers, how do we get them to understand what it is we’re trying to tell them?” Redekop asked.
While acknowledging some in the community have questioned the town’s efforts, the mayor said it’s about supporting the public health system and ensuring people in Fort Erie have access to healthcare.
Susan Taylor, speaking on behalf of the Fort Erie Healthcare SOS group, said while they support the new hospital being built in Niagara Falls, “Ontario’s healthcare system cannot rely on centralization alone.”
“Reopening and staffing existing facilities is significantly more cost effective than new builds,” she said.
Town officials presented their Reimagining Douglas Memorial plan to provincial counterparts, including Minister of Health Sylvia Jones, at last month’s Rural Ontario Municipal Association conference. A memo from McQueen said the town will continue to seek out meetings with other political leaders as well as those in the healthcare sector who could be future partners.
At the same time, they’re beginning work with Stucor Construction, which is providing consultant support to evaluate the Douglas Memorial site and redevelopment potential.
A health services consultant will also be selected in the near future to help the town identify potential partnerships and other opportunities to advance their Reimagining Douglas Memorial plan.








Stay Informed