42 kilograms of heroin seized at Peace Bridge in Fort Erie
January 15, 2026 at 1:36 PM
A tractor trailer attempting to enter Canada at the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie was stopped last month with 42 kilograms of suspected heroin hidden inside, according to a joint news release from the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

Police say the seizure followed an intelligence-led investigation by the OPP’s Border Enforcement Security Task Force, a multi-agency unit that includes the CBSA. The investigation began in December after authorities received information about suspected heroin being smuggled from the United States into Canada.
On December 18, border services officers identified a tractor trailer arriving from Buffalo and referred it for a secondary inspection at the Peace Bridge port of entry. With the assistance of a CBSA detector dog, officers located and seized the suspected heroin concealed in the trailer, the release said.
The CBSA also seized the tractor and trailer as offence-related property, along with two cellphones. All seized items were turned over to the OPP for further investigation.
Police estimate the street value of the drugs at $6.98 million.
OPP Chief Superintendent Mike Stoddart said the seizure highlights the importance of co-ordinated enforcement at Fort Erie’s international crossing.
“This seizure demonstrates the critical importance of intelligence-led policing and strong partnerships at our borders,” Stoddart said in the release.
“The OPP, working closely with the Canada Border Services Agency…remains committed to disrupting the flow of illegal drugs into the communities we serve.”
Michael Prosia, the CBSA’s regional director general for southern Ontario, said collaboration between agencies was key to intercepting the shipment before it entered the province.
“Partnerships and information sharing between law enforcement agencies yield real results for Canadians,” Prosia said. “The CBSA is committed to protecting the border and keeping illicit narcotics off our streets.”
The investigation remains ongoing, and police have not announced any arrests.








Stay Informed