Registration opens for Coldest Night brain injury walk

Registration has opened for the 2026 Coldest Night of the Year (CNOY) walk supporting the Brain Injury Association of Fort Erie (BIAFE).

Teams and individual walkers can now sign up online for the event on February 28, with a $50,000 goal to fund local programs for residents living with acquired brain injuries. The family-friendly walk is organized by the BIAFE as part of the national CNOY campaign.

This winter’s walk will again raise money to help brain injury survivors cover basics such as housing, food and transportation to medical appointments while staying rooted in their own community. The association supports clients and families year round through social activities, peer support, advocacy and information.

Event director and operations manager Jacob Schmitt said in an emailed statement to Fort Erie Radio that early interest is already stronger than last year which inspired them to raise their goal from $30,000 to $50,000.

“Word is spreading and we are becoming a more recognizable face in the community, but there is still work to do,” said Schmitt.

Jackie Denham and her son Michael last February at the Coldest Night of the Year. Credit: Kris Dubé

The BIAFE is working with other Coldest Night event directors across Niagara to reach both public and Catholic school boards so students and staff can receive information packages and take part. Schmitt said he is also drawing on contacts from the Ridgeway-Crystal Beach Kin Club and local service clubs to recruit new teams and sponsors.

“While I often champion all of our previous supporters whether that be team leads or community partners, I have been overwhelmed with the growing support from our general community since the start of my role here,” said Schmitt.

Schmitt said the financial strain facing many residents is showing up clearly in the lives of those the BIAFE serves. Rising housing and grocery costs are adding pressure for people already coping with the long-term effects of brain injury.

“It is overwhelmingly evident that there are many of our neighbours who are struggling to make ends meet,” said Schmitt.

He said funds from Coldest Night help the BIAFE bridge gaps so clients can stay housed and connected to care. That can include small but crucial supports for day to day needs that are not covered by other programs.

There is still over 80 days until the walk and people are already securing spots including Niagara Impact Award-winner Katie-Ann Wolfenberg who currently holds the top donor spot with $500, the Mayor’s Cool Crew, and Denham Team Real Estate.

Registration, team creation and donations are available at cnoy.org, where past and new participants can sign up in a few minutes and access tools to help with fundraising.

Residents and businesses interested in joining or sponsoring the 2026 walk can contact Schmitt at (905) 871-7789.

Stay Informed

Events, offers, contests, and breaking news, all delivered straight to your inbox.