Redekop files for re-election, setting up three-way race for mayor

Fort Erie Mayor Wayne Redekop is running for another term, and now he has competition.

Redekop filed his nomination papers June 29, according to the town’s registered candidates page, joining regional councillor Tom Insinna and newcomer Juan Liu in a three-way race for the mayor’s chair in the October 26 municipal election.

The job also comes with more power this time. Under the province’s Better Regional Governance Act, Fort Erie’s elected regional councillor seat is one of 19 across Niagara being eliminated this election, and the new regional council will be made up of the 12 local mayors and a provincially appointed chair.

Whoever wins the mayor’s race becomes Fort Erie’s only voice at the region.

Insinna, who currently holds the regional seat that is disappearing, registered June 11 for mayor.

He won Fort Erie’s regional council seat in 2022. His campaign website describes more than 30 years as an RCMP officer and 12 years on the board of the Community Gaming Development Corporation, which directs local charity gaming revenue.

Liu, who lives in Crystal Beach, registered June 26 for mayor.

Her campaign website says she wants to reshape Fort Erie through what she calls a “democratic economic system.” She says the town could become a model for tackling issues such as homelessness, taxation and community through “science-based” planning and greater local self-sufficiency.

Mayor Wayne Redekop at town hall in November 2024. Credit: Kris Dubé

Redekop has held the mayor’s office since 2014 and previously served from 1997 to 2006. He won the 2022 election with 6,195 votes, or 67 per cent, ahead of Peter Taras with 1,940 and Dan Favero with 1,075.

Ward 3, which had no candidate at all through the campaign’s first eight weeks, gained one when incumbent councillor Darren Flagg filed June 26.

Ward 4 is now contested. Incumbent Joan Christensen faces Matt Paul, who filed June 22, and Daniel Turner, whose July 2 registration is the most recent in any race.

Ward 5 remains a crowded council contest, with incumbent Tom Lewis facing Thomas Mete and Scott Boumeester.

George McDermott in Ward 1, Nick Dubanow in Ward 2 and Ann-Marie Noyes in Ward 6 are still unchallenged. Candidates who remain unopposed when nominations close win by acclamation, meaning no vote is held for that seat.

Two school board races also picked up challengers.

Tanya Pfaff registered June 26 against Susan Jovanović–who resigned last March–for the English public board seat covering Fort Erie and Port Colborne, and Marcel Tikeng registered June 24 against Amanda Leduc for the French public board, Conseil scolaire Viamonde.

Danny DiLorenzo remains alone in the English Catholic race, and no one has filed for the French Catholic board.

Nominations close August 21 at 2 p.m., and the town clerk has until August 24 to certify or reject them. Internet voting opens October 5, advance polls run October 14 and 17 at the Leisureplex banquet hall, and polls are open election day from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Stay Informed

Events, offers, contests, and breaking news, all delivered straight to your inbox.

Add A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *