‘Not just Niagara Falls’: Parks Commission lays out Fort Erie plans

The Niagara Parks Commission told Fort Erie councillors it’s committed to the entire corridor, from the tip of its reach in Niagara-on-the-Lake all the way down to Fort Erie.

Commission Chair Bob Gale and CEO David Adames presented to council at the March 31 meeting, giving them an update on activities and plans for the future, including a few sites in town.

“Old Fort Erie’s a gem…these are things we should enhance,” Gale said. “We’re not just Niagara Falls.”

An aerial view of Old Fort Erie. Credit: Niagara Parks

Adames pointed to work completed last year, including the $3 million replacement of Black Creek Bridge, $2.2 million to restore 900 metres of breakwall, and road resurfacing work, which for the first time in Adames’ memory, included work on service roads in the area.

Another $1.8 million in breakwall restoration work is planned for 2025, along with road resurfacing and improvement projects planned for Mather Park trail, as well as sections of south Niagara Parkway, Service Road 20 and 30.

Niagara Parks is also planning $1.1 million in infrastructure work at the Miller’s Creek marina. That project, which includes electrical work, is expected to be done ahead of the 2025 boating season.

“We are committed…to establishing the marina at Miller’s Creek as a new waterfront destination along the south Niagara Parkway,” Adames said, acknowledging the marina as it stands is “way past its life cycle.”

It’ll still be a couple years before a redevelopment, however, as Adames said the plan is to operate it this year and next before looking at major work.

Work is also ongoing on the original 1764 fort that lays just east of Old Fort Erie. Wilfrid Laurier University students conducted an archaeological dig on the site in 2019, and Niagara Parks is continuing efforts to preserve and interpret it; it was the oldest British Army fort in Ontario.

Beyond infrastructure and capital projects, Adames said he and his team are also keeping close tabs on the situation south of the border.

“The most important international market has been the U.S. market,” he said, adding 43 per cent of their revenue last year came from American visitors. But with U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariff and annexation threats, tensions between the two countries have risen.

With that uncertainty, Adames said they’ve been reaching out both to potential American visitors and to other international markets as they prepare for what’s hopefully a busy summer season.

Last year they welcomed visitors from 169 different countries, he said.

Stay Informed

Events, offers, contests, and breaking news, all delivered straight to your inbox.